Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Introductions



The first post on a new blog is always the hardest. This one, not so much, as this one has a set purpose, but the blank page in front of you always seems to be intimidating, no matter how many times you have started a writing project.
This particular blog is an exploratory writing project for class. It is meant to be a starting point for a later writing assignment, but also is meant to be a launching point for an endless stream of inquiry. It didn't take long for me to come up with my line of inquiry:


What have I, or should have, learned in my lifetime, that I didn't learn in public school?


In the last twenty-two years, since leaving the public school system, there have been many times when I have come across a subject or a method of doing something, and I had to step back and scratch my head, wondering why I hadn't learned it until just then. Many times it was something so basic, it baffled me why it wasn't part of the standard curriculum we'd been fed for thirteen years. Other things are just subjects that were maybe not that practical for school, but were good things to learn anyway, just for the sake of learning them, for relationships, or for survival. I will be taking a trip back in my own little Way-back Machine, looking at things I've picked up over almost half a lifetime, where I learned them, why I didn't learn it in school, and if I could have. I will also look that things I maybe should have learned, recently learned, or want to learn, and maybe we can take that learning journey together. Regardless of whether I've learned, or have yet to learn the subject of inquiry for that post, I will point you the way towards where to find a good starting place for that day's journey.

Edit: Since I apparently only have five posts to outline my inquiry, I guess I'll be changing my line of questioning to what real world economics were not taught in my public school, and why are the public schools struggling to educate.

No comments:

Post a Comment